Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Aladdin Movie Review

Well, it's been another crazy week here.  Things have definitely calmed down since our San Jose Sharks got knocked out of the hockey playoffs a week ago.  (Although, I would have gladly kept up the late night game watching routine if it would have led to them winning the Stanley Cup.)  Instead, Eliot and I have spent our evenings working hard on mouse ear orders and cleaning the house.

We did get to take a bit of a break this past weekend.  Eliot, myself and my brother Jeremy all went to my parents' house over the holiday weekend to help them with a few projects- mostly with helping to clean out my Nana's camp down east, but also to move a few heavy things around their house.  It was a whirlwind, but we enjoyed visiting with them- especially since we all haven't been together since Christmas.

Photo Source
The best part was that the three of us kids had decided we were going to go see the live action Aladdin together.  We weren't sure if it would be Friday night before going up to our parents' house or on Monday afternoon while on our way back home.  After both Eliot and Jeremy got to our house pretty late Friday, it was decided that we'd go see it at one of the theaters on our ride home Monday.

Aladdin was my absolute favorite Disney film growing up.  I loved the original animated movie and everything about it.  To this day, I still quote it randomly.  When I watch it, I'm pretty sure I recite it line for line even when I'm not trying to.  As a child, Jasmine was my favorite princess.  My favorite song was "A Whole New World" and I was also obsessed with tigers- probably because of Rajah.


Photo Source
In fact, it left a pretty big impression on our extended family as well.  When we started doing skits with my cousins, we always went back to Aladdin.  I remember three different times we performed our rendition of it.  I was always Jasmine and my cousin Kaitlin was Rajah.  Jeremy was the Genie.  Then, Matthew and Lucas took turns being Aladdin, Jafar and the palace guards.  Aladdin was a big part of my childhood.

Photo Source
I was so excited when I found out Disney was making a live action version.  I know everyone had an opinion about it... and not all of them were good.  I think everyone was most worried about how the Genie would be portrayed.  There will never be another Robin Williams, so would Will Smith be able to do the part justice?

After seeing the movie yesterday, I think the answer is yes.  Will Smith did a great job with making the Genie come to life.  There were still some jokes from the original movie, but he was able to put his own twist on it.  Genie was still the same character, but with a different flair.  I also like how he had a bigger role in this film.

Photo Source
The storyline was pretty similar to the original.  I feel like the parts that were changed or added only added to the storyline.  (I love this fierce and intellectual version of Princess Jasmine!)  I also felt like this film was more accurate with the details of a Middle Eastern country.  The sets, dancing, music and costumes were more detailed than they were able to do in the animated version.

Photo Source
I absolutely loved all of the bright colors.  I don't think I realized how drab the original film looked (compared to this) until I saw all of the beautiful colors in this one.  The costumes, sets, flower petals... they all really made the film come to life.

Photo Source
The costumes were spectacular... and I know I say this all the time.  But, as a designer, I really appreciate all of the hard work that goes into the costumes and the sets.  This movie did not disappoint.  I loved all of Jasmine's outfits and the textures and detailing on them.  I hope they'll put them on display somewhere like they did with the live action Beauty and the Beast costumes.  I'd love to see them in person!

Finally, the part that really brought the film to life were the songs.  These songs from Aladdin were my childhood.  I've been anxiously waiting for the soundtrack, but I didn't want to listen to it until after I'd seen the movie.  Now that I've seen it, I've been looking for it in the stores.  It was fun to see the little changes they made, but they worked with the film.  Then, there was the "A Whole New World" scene... it was perfection.


Photo Source
However, the best part was that I got to go see the movie with my entire family.  When we told my parents we were going to see it in Bangor, Dad suggested that he, Mom and Nana join us.  They drove up separately, so after the movie we could all depart in our own directions.  We didn't get to sit all together- Mom and Nana were in the wheelchair row and then Jeremy, Dad, Eliot and I were seated two rows above them- but I was really glad that they got to experience it with us.  I even had to chuckle.  I was seated on the end (Eliot was between Dad and me) but I could still hear Dad humming along to "A Whole New World".  Clearly, Aladdin has left an impression on them too.

Photo Source
All in all, it was a great film and a true love letter to the animated version.  I absolutely loved it and can't wait to go see it again!  I'm really hoping the local drive-in theater does a double feature with it and Toy Story 4 later this summer- I'd be there at least once that week... maybe more.  If you go to see it, please give it a chance and keep an open mind!  I'm sure you'll end up loving it too!  °o°

1 comment:

  1. I went to see Aladdin in Falmouth, Maine last Saturday. I loved every minute of it! Last year I was fortunate enough to see it on Broadway-those costumes were also spectacular!

    ReplyDelete