Friday, December 30, 2016

Final Recap of 2016 Goals

Another year is coming to a close.  I've got to admit, 2016 has been quite a rollercoaster.  For me, it's actually been a pretty good year overall.  But I think it's safe to say the world is ready for a do-over.  Thankfully, we only have a few more hours until we can start anew!

Photo Source
As always, I set some goals for myself this year.  I posted my 2016 Disney and Blog Goals on January 2nd.  Now, as the year winds down, the time has come to recap the results of those goals.  I've never actually completed a full list, (spoiler alert: that hasn't changed!) but it's something to aspire to.  I love making goals for each year and seeing how many of them I can achieve!  The past few years, I've made a new tradition to publicly post some of my blog and Disney goals here for you all to read!  (You can read my other goal posts at these links: 2014 goals2014 recap2015 goals2015 recap.)

For those of you who are new, or for those who need a refresh, here is a short version:

Melissa's Blog and Disney Goals for 2016

1.)  Go to Walt Disney World
2.)  Go to Disneyland
3.)  Go on my first Disney Cruise
4.)  Sign Up and Train for the 2017 Princess and Tinker Bell Half Marathons
5.)  Participate in a few Blog Hops
6.)  Achieve Monthly Blog Goals
7.)  Make Disney Décor for the Holidays
8.)  Have a Few Friends as Guest Bloggers
9.)  Make Disney Accessories
10.)  Have Disney Movie Nights and Disney Board Game Nights
11.)  Disneybound Themed Outfit Challenge
12.)  Continue Happily Ever Hatter's Growth
13.)  Have a Disney Themed Party
14.)  Take an Online Storyboard Class, Online Art Class
15.)  Design an Imagineering Project
16.)  Read Disney Books
17.)  Paint Disney Art
18.)  Prep for D23 Expo 2017
19.)  Design a Miniature Scene
20.)  Work on Top Secret Blog Ideas

I think it was a pretty impressive list.  I added five more goals than I had for 2015.  And I knew when I made it that it was a pretty lofty list of goals.  But, I like a challenge.  So, without further ado, here's how the results of my 2016 goals stacked up:

1.)  Go to Walt Disney World- Goal Met
This is always one of my main goals every single year.  I'm pleased to report that I went to Walt Disney World in September/October and I had a marvelous time at my happy place!!!

2.)  Go to Disneyland- Goal Met
Last year, we went to Disneyland for the 60th Anniversary Diamond Celebration and my goal was to go one more time before it ended this year.  Not only did I get to go once for Elissa's graduation, but I got to go with two of my girl friends for a mini vacation weekend!

3.)  Go on my first Disney Cruise- Goal Met 
This was a new addition to my goal list, although it's always been a goal of mine.  2016 was finally the year I was able to cross this off my personal bucket list!!!  Our Disney Cruise was amazing and I can't wait to go on another one!!!  I think it's safe to say I'm addicted!!!

4.)  Sign Up/Train for the 2017 Princess and Tinker Bell Half Marathons- Goal Met
This goal has plagued me for a few years.  In 2014, I didn't complete the WDW half, and in 2015 I had severe foot problems and was unable to complete the WDW 10K.  Eliot and I have signed up for both Princess and Tinker Bell.  I haven't trained for Princess as much as I'd hoped to, but that's basically my #1 goal between now and then.

5.)  Participate in a few Blog Hops- Goal Met
Before this year, I'd only participated in one blog hop in 2014, and then I didn't do any in 2015.  This year, I participated in every single Disney Pixar Blog Hop that was hosted!  Not only did I have a blast, but I'm very proud of all of the projects I created too!  Here they are:

Blog Hops

6.)  Achieve Monthly Blog Goals- Goal Met

This has always been a difficult goal for me.  It's hard to set aside enough time to complete these tasks each month.  This year, my goal was to do at least one tutorial each month, one fun find a month, and to have 150 blog posts for the year.  While I didn't get 12 DIY tutorials done each month, I did more than I have in any other year and I'm so proud of that.  Plus, I crushed my fun find goal and finished the year with 160+ posts!!!  Cross this one off of the list... this goal is (finally!) outta here!!!  But before I move on, here's a recap of my fun finds:

Fun Find Fridays

Genie's Jokes from Aladdin
Disney Medley
Wonderful World of Disney- Disneyland 60
Share Your Ears
Disneyland Paris St. Patrick's Day
March Magic
Retro Disney Easter Parade Videos
WDW Spring Dapper Day 2016
The Little Mermaid Live in Concert
Brian Hull
Grand Opening of Shanghai Disney Resort
Elephant & Mouse
Disney Puppies Video
Walt Disney Family Museum
Shop Disney Parks App
Black Friday Deals
Disney Magic Holiday

7.)  Make Disney Décor for the Holidays- Goal Met

As you know, I absolutely love the holidays.  I have a list a mile long of Disney holiday decorations to create.  This year, I tried to focus on getting a few done for our house!  I didn't make as many as I'd originally hoped to, but I'm so proud of all the ones I did make: 

DIY Projects

Mickey Candy Heart Valentine's Day Sign
Gimme Tsum Lovin' Wreath
Mickey Button Flower Vase
Tinker Bell Fairy Garden Lantern
Olaf's Winter Snow Sign

8.)  Have a Few Friends as Guest Bloggers- Goal Not Met

I didn't have any guest bloggers this year, and I am a little bummed out about it.  I really need to get a few more friends and family members on board for some posts.  Everyone is always so busy, but I'm determined.  Plus, I think it's time you heard from Eliot again!

9.)  Make Disney Accessories- Goal Met
I had a ton of ideas for Disney inspired accessories that I wanted to make.  While I wasn't able to tackle circle skirts or infinity scarves, I did get a few other things done.  (Plus, I bought way too much fabric for future scarves...)  I'm really proud of my original dress designs.  I can't wait to make more of them.  Plus, I did tackle a few in the form of DIY projects: 

DIY Projects

Tinker Bell Pop Purse Charm
Pink Polka Dot Minnie Mouse Sun Hat

10.)  Have Disney Movie Nights and Disney Board Game Nights- Goal (sort of) Met
I absolutely love watching Disney movies.  Lately, Eliot and I have been trying to watch more of them- especially the ones we haven't watched in forever.  I'm happy to report that we watched a ton of Disney movies this year.  We didn't have specific movie nights, but we still were able to watch Aladdin, Hercules, Mulan, Big Hero 6, Brave, The Little Mermaid and more.  I even got him to watch all of Tangled without falling asleep (finally!!!).  On the board game front, we still haven't even unpacked them.  So, we'll have to do that next year!

11.)  Disneybound Themed Outfit Challege- Goal Met

This is a new goal for my Disney list, but I had a ton of fun with it so it stays!  I originally wanted to do more Disneybounds, but I need to work on my single color wardrobe pieces for that.  However, I definitely had at least 25 Disney themed outfits throughout the year.  I always wear Disney outfits to the theme parks, and I've started to wear more of them at home.  My favorite of all my outfits was definitely my Diamond Celebration Minnie outfit from Spring Dapper Day at Disneyland!

12.)  Continue Happily Ever Hatter's Growth- Goal Met
This year, I really focused on getting some new designs done.  I've been working on a few of them for years now, and I'm so happy to have brought them to life!  Eliot also dove head first into the world of ear making.  He's been obsessed with creating tons of new designs for our IllusionEars line.  We nailed this goal!  (Now we just have to finish listing them on Etsy!)

13.)  Have a Disney Themed Party- Goal Not Met
This is a goal of mine every year.  I love having friends and family over to visit.  This year, we had planned to have a housewarming party in the spring, but then the house wasn't ready.  I thought we'd still be able to pull off my birthday party, but we were so busy making mouse ears all fall, that didn't go as planned.  However, I'm not too upset about it.  I've got awesome ideas for our housewarming party, so hopefully, it'll happen in spring/summer 2017!

14.)  Take an Online Storyboard Class, Online Art Class- 
Goal Not Met

I'd love to learn how to storyboard and I've been dying to take a storyboarding class online for a few years now.  (It's been a goal of mine since I started writing these on my blog.)  I still haven't done it.  2017, I'm making time no matter what.  And, I also have a few other art classes I'd like to take.  I'm determined to cross this off in 2017!!!

15.)  Design an Imagineering Project- 
Goal Not Met
Eliot and I talk about Disney Imagineering projects like we're actual Imagineers.  We love to brainstorm designs for new rides, restaurants, hotels, stores, and hotel resorts.  I'd really like to actually draw something out, make some renderings or even (gasp!) make a model like I did in college.  Now that I'm out of school, not doing it for a grade and on my own time, it sounds like it'd be fun.  So stay tuned...

16.)  Read Disney Books- Goal Not Met
I have so many wonderful books.  I have a large collection of Imagineering books.  Last Christmas, my parents bought us four Art of Disney books and Eliot and I got another one for Christmas this year.  I also have a ton of other Disney books.  And I didn't read a single one this year.  Next year, I'm cracking open some books.

17.)  Paint Disney Art- 
Goal Not Met

This is also a continuing goal of mine.  I still haven't checked it off the list, and I'm actually glad about that.  We're still finishing our house, but I have started to decide where I'd like to have some artwork.  So hopefully, next year I'll be able to show you some of my own art displayed throughout our house!

18.)  Prep for D23 Expo 2017- Goal Met

Well, I didn't have too many high hopes for this goal.  It was mostly brainstorming.  But, the most important thing is that we have tickets to the D23 Expo next year.  Now, the real fun of finalizing my outfit and making it begins!

19.)  Design a Miniature Scene- Goal (sort of) Met
I specifically kept this goal general since I didn't know what I'd want to make.  In the end, I finished one of the designs I've had floating around in my head for a while now.  My DIY Tinker Bell Fairy Garden Lantern has finally come to life and I'm so happy with how it turned out.  Now, I want to make more of them for different seasons.  And I'm also really inspired to make more complex mini scenes!

20.)  Work on Top Secret Blog Ideas- Goal Met
This is a continuation from my goals from last year.  I have so many business, blog and design ideas that it's insane.  But, the world is competitive and I don't want to spill them all here.  Thankfully, I was able to start checking some of them off the list in the form of completed DIY projects and tutorials, taking the leap and making my customized dresses and making some of the mouse ears I've been wanting to.  There's a lot more in store.  I'm not going to keep this an "official" goal, but you're still going to reap the rewards!

Photo Source
So, there you have it!  Overall, I think I did pretty good considering how crazy busy Eliot and I have been.  Most of these have made appearances on my 2014 and 2015 lists.  (This is the most blue I have ever seen!!!)  Honestly, I'm ready to set some of these goals aside and to conquer new things... and to finally cross a few more of these fun, creative goals off in 2017!  

2016's word of the year was BLOSSOM and I think I achieved that.  I worked really hard on my blog and my business ideas and I also dove into a few new projects.  Everything was received really well and I definitely felt like I blossomed more as a person too!

Thank you 2016, for the lessons you've taught me and for the growth.  Bring on 2017!!!  °o°
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment