Saturday, November 14, 2015

Paris Love

How quickly the world can change in a few short minutes.  Within an hour (possibly even minutes) of me posting my list of 30 things to do during my 30's list last night, I learned that the world was once again shaken by an act of terrorism.  I found out while scrolling through my Facebook feed.  And the numbers in the reports only continued to rise throughout the night.  Over and over I ask myself why would someone do this.  It causes me great sadness to know deep down that we'll never really have an answer.


I have always had a great love for the city of Paris and for France.  My first exposure to it was probably through a movie with a girl who learned to love a beast.  Beauty and the Beast has always been one of my favorite Disney movies.  I go see the live stage show at Hollywood Studios whenever I can.  It's one of my all time favorites.  I also think the movie is why I decided I wanted to learn French.


In 2002, I traveled to Paris and France with my high school French club during my junior year.  It was the first time I'd ever flown in an airplane.  I fell in love with France and the whole European experience.  I practiced my French.  I loved learning more about the architecture and history.  The Notre Dame Cathedral was stunning.  I went to the top of the Eiffel Tower.  I visited the Louvre and saw the Mona Lisa.  We went on a night river cruise where we passed the Eiffel Tower and a mini version of the Statue of Liberty.  We visited the French Riviera, a perfume factory, an old aqueduct and hilltop villages.  It was an experience that I treasure and always will.


During college, our school held an annual Beaux Arts Ball at the end of the academic year.  In 2007, the ball was Paris themed.  For our table centerpieces, we had tall Eiffel Tower vases filled with gigantic red and black feathers a la Moulin Rouge.  We also had little Eiffel Tower candle holders, one of which I brought home.  The photo backdrop had a six foot tall light up Eiffel Tower display.  At the end of the night, our events club was planning to throw it out but I rescued it.  Eliot and I still have it to this day.  (It's probably going to be on display in our basement!)


In 2009, Eliot and I went to Las Vegas to celebrate his 21st birthday.  We're not big drinkers or gamblers, so we spent the entire trip sightseeing.  One of my favorite experiences was going up into the Eiffel Tower at the Paris hotel in Las Vegas.  Eliot has never been to Europe, but I really enjoyed experiencing a little slice of it with him.


I also have fond memories of Paris at the World Showcase in Epcot.  Eliot and I haven't spent too much time there in recent years, but I always admire the hand painted umbrellas when we walk by.  I love to stop and eat a crêpe as a special treat.  I always take time to admire the Eiffel Tower and to reminisce about my high school trip.


Of course, my fondest memory from World Showcase Paris was our post-wedding reception VIP viewing of IllumiNations.  We had a great time celebrating with our family and friends at the Terrace des Fleurs.  Not only was it a stunning backdrop, but it was especially meaningful to me since I'd been to Paris, France.


Which brings me back full circle.  When I posted my list yesterday, I originally included going to Disneyland Paris on it.  (I took it off because I didn't want to put too many trips in my goals and I already had the cruise and Aulani on it.)  Eliot and I do dream to go to every Disney Park someday.  We want to go to Disneyland Paris and to possibly even participate in a future Paris RunDisney half marathon.  We will go there someday.


Events like last night cement my belief that the world needs something like Disney.  It's a small world after all.  We all need a happy place in this world of uncertainty.  We all need dreams, hope, faith, trust and a little bit of pixie dust.  °o°

No comments:

Post a Comment