Monday, February 23, 2015

Happy Birthday Lucky Oreo

Today's a special day- it's our dog Lucky Oreo's birthday.  We lost Lucky back in November of 2009 when he was  a few months shy of turning 15.  He lived an incredible life and was immensely loved.  He was like a brother to me and Jeremy.


We got Lucky on a nice spring day in 1995 (May 5th to be exact) when I was 10.  We had still had our first dog, Tobie, at the time as well.  Lucky was one of the last two puppies at the SPCA when we went to pick him up.  I fell in love with him immediately; we all did.  It was the beginning of a beautiful journey.


We brought him home and had to name him. Of course, with our love of Disney and the 101 Dalmatians movie, he had to be named Lucky.  (Both of his ears were black just like Lucky's in the movie.)  One of my friends said he looked like an Oreo cookie so that's how he got his middle name.


Through the years, we had moments when we thought we named him after the wrong Disney character and food.  Daddy always joked that we should have named him "Goofy Devil Dog" instead, but he was a really good dog.  He traveled well and he's probably been in more hotel rooms than most people.  He's also been to Disney World a few times.  He liked to visit Mickey Mouse too!


He's been there for most of the big moments in my life.  He was around for my 8th grade, high school and college graduations.  It was actually pretty hard when he wasn't around for Eliot's and my wedding.  That was the first "big" life moment that he missed. But I had my favorite a picture of him and I on a charm attached to my bouquet.


Lucky's favorite place was our family camp on Long Pond.  He absolutely loved riding in our boat.  He even had his own designated seat in the front.  (He would make you move if you got in his way.)  In fact, Mom and Dad even named the boat Lucky's Charm.  He loved playing in the woods around camp.  He wasn't a huge fan of swimming, but I think that's because of the time he went underwater.  He got a little overzealous getting out of the boat one time and landed between the boat and the dock.  He wasn't too impressed when he was completely submerged.  Thankfully, we were right next to the shoreline and he got out ok.


Lucky loved to play with his toys.  He had quite a few of them throughout the years.


His favorites were the plush squeaky toys.  


He also liked to sleep on Dad's desk when we left him at home.  We assume it was because he could be up higher and see out the windows to the back yard.  It was also the best place to hear when we returned home.  It's a wonder he didn't hurt himself getting up and down.


He also had to be in all of the family photos.  I have one somewhere where he's sticking his tongue out at the camera.  Mom was trying to take a nice Christmas picture and when Jeremy and I finally cooperated, he didn't.  This picture was from when I played varsity volleyball in high school and Jeremy was on the cross country team.


Lucky loved the snow.  He would run around and play in it with Jeremy and I in the backyard.  He also loved to eat it.  Lots of it.


He loved Christmas.  We had to put his stocking high up so he wouldn't get into the treats in the night.  I always grabbed his stocking first and helped him "open" it.  He always stuck his head all the way into it every Christmas morning.  Then he thought all of our presents were for him.  He even helped me open a few of mine.


Of course, we have lots of pictures of Lucky.  He was my favorite subject to photograph for years.  I also would set up photos for him.  When I was in college, I'd take pictures of him with the Mike's Hard Lemonade bottles.  He would always give me weird looks and wonder what on Earth I was doing.


He was there when we moved me into my first apartment.  He enjoyed jumping around and laying on my new futon.  I think he approved.


He also was quite fond of the porch at my apartment.  I was on the end of the property so he could look out and see all of the other people walking their dogs.  As you can see, it was also a nice place for an afternoon nap.


During one of those stays at my apartment, I took this photo of Lucky and Dad.  It reminds me of Adam and God from Michelangelo's painting in the Sistine Chapel.


He was a really special dog.  He was smart as a whip and had a great personality.  I miss him a lot, but I'm so thankful that we had such a wonderful family pet growing up. Eliot and I would like to get a puppy someday, but there will never be another one quite as charismatic as Lucky.


Happy Birthday Lucky Oreo!!!  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish you were with us.  Sissa still misses you everyday.  I love you!  °o°

No comments:

Post a Comment