Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Melissa's Half Birthday

Today is my half birthday!  I'm officially 35 and 1/2!!!  Normally, I acknowledge this milestone without much fanfare.  But, if you hadn't noticed after yesterday, I'm basically looking for any reason to have a celebration nowadays.  It gives me something to look forward to in a sea of never-ending cancellations.

Since I already took yesterday to give myself a little bit of self-care Rapunzel style, I decided that I'd keep today a bit more low-key.  Instead, I decided to focus on doing something for myself... something that's been ignored for a long time now... my office.


When we first moved in, my office was the first room that we painted.  I was so excited about having my own space to create in.  It was going to be my perfect little creative sanctuary.  When we moved in to our house, I put a lot of our breakable stuff in there for safe-keeping.  Eliot barely goes in there, so it was a good location.  Fast forward four years, and it's practically filled to the brim with random breakable stuff, as well as things that are actually supposed to be in there.  It's time it get a bit more organized!

It became apparent after a few minutes that I wasn't going to make huge strides.  It would be a lot easier to have another set of hands taking the things I was gathering and putting them in the living room.  Nevertheless, I started to grab 'like things' to put away in storage for the time being.  I got a few things organized, but I'll definitely have to grab Eliot this weekend for some reinforcement.

The best part of my cleaning spree was going through a bunch of my Disney artwork postcards.  I've tried to purchase a few on all of our most recent trips.  They're a great way to get some art for the walls without spending too much on one piece.  Each art post card is $5 and I've probably already spent at least $200 on them.  Thankfully, you can use your annual passholder discount on them!


Today, I organized a bunch of them.  I pulled a few that I plan to put in certain areas of our house.  I have a few for an UP wall.  I also have some for a special Disneyland wall and our Nemo bathroom.  Finally, I have a few I plan to put on, or next to, my vanity.

When I had enough of going through my office, I went back out to the living room and went through boxes in it and our dining room.  I've got a few things that I'm organizing there as well.  It seems never-ending but it will be worth it when it's finally done!!!

Other than my little office cleaning spree, I had a pretty normal day.  I listened to some Disney soundtracks while I worked on desk sets and mouse ear orders.  Eliot and I are trying to finish a lot of orders so we can make another trip to the post office later this week.  I'm sure we'll have a lot to mail after working hard over the long weekend too!

Overall, it wasn't much of a half birthday celebration, but it was fun!  I'm glad that I took a few hours to do something for myself that I'd been putting off.  I also found a few other ways to acknowledge the half way mark.

Ironically, Disney Parks released another video of the Disneyland Dapper Dans singing from home yesterday.  They have been doing a "Voices From Home" series every few weeks during the shut down.  I thought it was great timing for my Unbirthday today! 


Side Note... Yay!!!  My computer will finally let me attach videos to my posts again!!!

Also, speaking of music and irony... I had to laugh when I was singing "When Will My Life Begin" around the house yesterday.  At the end of the song, Rapunzel sings about the lanterns glowing (the lights will appear) on her birthday the next day.  It's kind of funny that I had my Rapunzel Tangled celebration and my half birthday was the following day!  It was totally unintentional, but perfect timing I guess!

Finally, what's a birthday celebration without cake?  We're still low on groceries, but I did have some of these cake in a mug packs that I bought at the grocery store the last time we went.  They seemed like a good idea and they were pretty much the only cake mix I could find at the store.  Why I wanted cake so desperately in the middle of a pandemic I have no idea.  Clearly, I have my priorities in order.  Oie...


I haven't tried any of them yet, but I'm planning to dig into them tonight.  There are only 4 packets inside the box, so you know... rations.  I have a bad feeling that once I try one, I'll want them all the time.  I guess we'll see!  Haha!  Regardless, I'm sure it will be the perfect way to end my little Half Birthday Celebration! 

The first half of 35 has been weird with all of our traveling in November, December and January and now not traveling anywhere at all.  (This is what I get for saying I was ready to spend some time at home... ugh.)  Hopefully the second half of 35 is a little more eventful than the past two months... but if it's not, that's ok.  I'm just hoping that things are more normal by the time I'm celebrating 36!  I guess time will tell...  °o°

No comments:

Post a Comment