Sunday, September 11, 2016

15 Years Later

We all remember where we were that morning.  At the time, I was a junior in high school, sitting in my Pre-Calculus class waiting for the bell to ring for our 10 minute break between classes.  At break time, my best friend Katie told me that the World Trader Center had been hit.  I knew something wasn't right by the look on the teachers' faces.  They all huddled and whispered together.

The Statue of Liberty from a ferry boat
During the next period, we discussed what was going on.  My fellow students and I told each other what we knew.  Class was basically cancelled, and we all ended up in the library huddled around a television screen.  I didn't really understand what was going on.  All after-school activities were cancelled.  I dropped Katie off and then returned home.  Only then, while watching the news with my Mom, did I start to understand the full impact of what happened.  America was under attack.

The globe from the World Trade Center
In the days that followed, things changed.  I was terrified to go on our school's French Trip.  A trip I had been looking forward to was now a cause of anxiety.  Eventually, I decided to go, but I was still terrified.  I made little red, white and blue ribbons for my volleyball team to tie to our sneakers in memory.  When our coach's young daughters asked us what they were for, we said we wanted to be patriotic because we loved our country.  They didn't know, so we tried to spare them from our new reality.

New York City skyline from Ellis Island, Spring 2008
15 years have passed since that September day.  Unfortunately, that "new" reality is now the norm.  We live in a world of uncertainty, where everyday is truly a blessing.

Some people wonder why I love Disney so much.  In a world where there is so much hate, it's nice to see the goodness, kindness and magic.  It's nice to dream of happily ever afters, a world where dreams come true and where villains never win.

Cemetery at a Church near the World Trader Center Site
The future of our country is filled with uncertainty.  But today, we Americans all stand united once again.  Let us remember all of those we lost, all of the dreams that were cut short, and the lives that had so much more to give.  Let us never forget.  °o°

Note: All of these photos were from my trip to New York City in the spring of 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment