Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Scrapbook Swap: Disney Princesses

Here's yet another swap from my Disney Scrapbook Facebook group!  In the past, I've also participated in the Christmas in July Card Swap, the Christmas Layout Swap, the Valentine's Day Layout Swap, the Easter Layout Swap the Patriotic Picnic Swap and most recently, the Disney Title Swap.  (Whew!  That's a lot of swaps!!!)


The process for this swap was a little bit different from the most of the others I've participated in.  Like the title swap, instead of selecting from a pre-determined list of cuts, we chose which princess we wanted to do.  I decided it was time I figured out how to work my Cricut, so I grabbed my "Happily Ever After" and "Dreams Come True" Cricut cartridges and selected the Fairy Godmother from Cinderella.


Disclaimer: This was the first time I've used my Cricut for anything.  Eliot's used it to make Mickey Mouse earrings cards a few times, but I had absolutely no idea what I was doing.  We went to Michael's to buy a few new cutting mats and the expensive card stock.  Then, Eliot helped me cut out 26 sets of Fairy Godmother pieces.


Spoiler Alert: It didn't go well.  In fact, I dubbed the end result "Scary Godmother the scary fairy".  The diecut pieces were cut jagged and looked torn.  In hindsight, we should have made her larger so the pieces weren't so small.  And we probably should have considered changing the blade.  Honestly, I don't really know what happened but she looked horrendous.  It was too late to turn back; I assembled her and apologized to the other ladies in the swap for my lack of Cricut skills and knowledge.


Luckily, the ladies were really supportive and it meant a lot to me since I felt awful about the whole thing.  Plus, someone else made a Fairy Godmother too!  (She came out a lot better than mine!)  You can see the size difference helped.  I also noticed how a lot of the die cuts have printed faces instead of trying to cut them out.  I still have a lot of learning to do!  Needless to say, I won't be doing any swaps with my Cricut until we practice a bit more.  If I do, I'm using purchased svg images which are a lot simpler than licensed images.  They're really cute too!  (See below.)


I'm still really glad that I did this swap.  The princesses are so cute and I'm sure I'll have plenty of use for them in my scrapbooks!  These are a few of my favorites from this swap!  I love the "Pretty as a Princess" title.  Tinker Bell is really cute!  I love her little pom poms!  I might use the tiara, slipper and coach for scrapbooking our Disney wedding!  The slipper even has glitter swirls!  Anna is definitely my favorite from this swap.  The details are incredible and she looks great!


This is the last swap that I've signed up for recently.  I think I'm going to take a break for a little bit so I can focus on new hat designs for Happily Ever Hatter.  Although, if there's another holiday swap... I might be very tempted.  °o°

No comments:

Post a Comment