Thursday, January 2, 2014

My 2014 Blog and Disney Goals

2014 is here!  I've had to write the date numerous times today, and I didn't write 13 once! So far so good!  Let's see how long it lasts...

Photo from the Disney Store Online.
I'm really excited about this year.  I love the feeling of "newness" that a new year brings. I always feel refreshed.  It's like the slate is cleaned overnight.  I'm not huge on making resolutions because I feel like I'll break them.  Instead, I try to make goals for myself.  At the end of the year, I'm disappointed if I don't achieve all of them, but I don't feel like a complete failure.  I usually set the bar incredibly high with an unattainable list of things to try to do throughout the year.  A lot of the things I put on my list are things like "build a snowman" or "learn how to knit" or "travel somewhere new."  They're not exactly earth shattering, but I try to think of fun ideas!

This year, I decided that I wanted to make a few specific Disney goals.  Now that I have a blog, I want to give myself something to strive for.  Some people say that sharing your goals with others helps with accountability, so I thought that I'd share some of those goals with you guys!  Hopefully, I can achieve them all this year!  Bring it on 2014!

Melissa's 14 Blog and Disney Goals for 2014

1.)  Go to Walt Disney World- This is usually one of my "dream" goals every year.  I kind of feel like it's a cope out since we're leaving for Walt Disney World next Tuesday. But going to Disney is my goal every year, so it's always #1.

2.)  Participate in the WDW Half Marathon- This also feels like a "freebie" since I'm doing the half marathon next Saturday.  The "real" goal is to finish it, but I'm not sure if that'll happen.  I guess we will all find out about a week and a half from now!

3.)  Make Disney Décor for the Holidays-  I tried to make some new decorations for the holidays last year, but a lot of time I ended up running out of time before completing them. This year, I'm planning to start them early.  If it means making Christmas decorations in July, so be it.  I'll celebrate my own version of Christmas in July!

4.)  Do at Least One Tutorial Each Month-  This is something I really enjoy doing.  I like sharing how to make different things with you guys.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to come up with one tutorial a month for the entire year!

5.)  Design an Imagineering Project-  This stems back to my college days when I could make basically anything I wanted in my interior design studio class.  The sky was the limit and there weren't any money restrictions.  The real world does not work that way, so I wanted to do some designs for Disney where the sky is once again the limit.  I have a specific design that I'm itching to bring to life.  It's been top secret, and no one knows about it except Eliot.  He'll probably be glad to have me formerly working on it so he doesn't have to listen to any more of my crazy ideas!

6.)  Write 150 Blog Entries for the Year-  I started this blog last May and wrote 73 published entries so I basically figured that I could double that number for this year.  I've got a lot of fun ideas, so hopefully it won't be difficult to do more than 150!

7.)  Have a Few Friends as Guest Bloggers-  I have a lot of close friends who are big into Disney.  They're part of the reason that I am able to be as Disney obsessed as I am. I'd really like to get a few of them to do a few guest blogs.  So stay tuned!

8.)  Have a Disney Themed Party-  Eliot and I had been planning to have a Monster's University party once the movie came out on DVD but we weren't able to pull it off during 2013.  Now, I'm basically in love with Frozen and I'd love to do a Frozen party.  I love to decorate and have parties with a theme.  So before the year is over, we will have some sort of Disney party whether it's Monster's University, Frozen or something else entirely!  
9.)  Blog About One Fun Find a Month-  Last year, I did a few "fun find" posts about Etsy shops that I'd found online that had some cool Disney stuff.  I didn't get to post as many of those as I wanted to.  This year, I'll contact more sellers and write more posts! There are far too many fun things I've stumbled across to not share them with everyone!


10.)  Take an Online Storyboard Class-  There are so many online classes that I've stumbled across that I want to take.  One website that I recently discovered was Skillshare.  They do online classes on tons of artistic things.  There's even a visual storytelling class taught by an actual animator at the Walt Disney Animation Studios!

11.)  Make Disney Accessories-  This is something that I've been dying to do for a while now.  I really want to make some Disney inspired accessories.  This will also come in the form of a few new Etsy shops.  I will not be the only one reaping the rewards of this goal!

12.)  Paint Disney Wedding Art for our Dining Room-  We have a ton of wall space in our dining area.  I've decided to make a collage style wall art design.  We already have a few Disney Wedding art pieces to put up, as well as the awesome artwork that Eliot's sister Elissa made us.  So, I've decided to add a few artistic pieces of my own to the collection!  The wall will be a perfect way to always remember that dreams do come true!

13.)  Finish Our Mickey and Minnie Bathroom-  We're making really good progress on our Mickey and Minnie themed bathroom.  I've already made the small flower pots and the Mickey hand shelf.  I have a few more art ideas for it.  And we still need to get the curtains designed and made.  I'm hoping to have this done sooner than later!

14.)  Make Disney Sweets-  I've always loved looking at the displays of the Main Street Confectionary.  Those candy apples are ah-maz-ing!  I've decided that I want to make some Disney sweets this year.  Maybe they'll be cake pops, or cupcakes, or a cake. Who knows?  Maybe I'll make all of them!!!  (That Disney Themed Party will be the perfect place to pawn off the sweets to my friends and family... share the calories!)

Photo from the Disney Store Online.
I've got my work cut out for me.  But I'm really excited about it!  I'm going to make 2014's word of the year CREATE.  As you can see, there are a lot of things that I want to design and create this year.  I'm most happy when I'm doing that.  That's the gift that I will share with the world this year!!!  Happy 2014 Everyone!!!  °o°

No comments:

Post a Comment